Annual Report 2018
Mission Statement & Core Values
To provide exceptional early learning experiences and child care services to children and their families in a community of diverse needs.
Network operates and delivers services and programs guided by a shared belief in core values and principles. Network values:
- Children, families, their needs, and the needs of their community, as the pivotal purpose of our ambition.
- Mutual respect, diversity, inclusiveness, and equity in all its services and decision-making practices.
- Positive and responsive engagement and ongoing communication with parents/guardians for their unique strengths, perspectives and contributions to our program that will enable us to best meet their child’s needs.
- The dedicated Staff and affiliated Home Child Care Providers and their professional contribution, continuous professional learning, and commitment to Network’s mission statement and goals.
- Liaisons with community partners and resources who provide opportunities for the children to develop close connections with a wide range of community supports.
I would really like to thank Network Child Care for providing me with a wonderful person like Jeeva. She is a compassionate, understanding, trusting human being. She treats my daughter like she is her own daughter. Every day Kunga is so excited and happy to go to Jeeva’s house. Sometimes I think words are not enough to praise this wonderful caring caregiver for my daughter. Being a single mother and working so hard, I feel Jeeva was god’s gift for Kunga and me...
—Namgyal, Parent in Home Child Care
Board President’s and Executive Director’s Report
We welcome you to Network Child Care Services’ 28th year of operation. Our long tradition of providing outstanding child care to the families of Toronto continued this year, as we maintained our existing Centre and Home Child Care locations while also opening many new sites.
As we reflect on 2018, we are reminded of a song a very famous caregiver sang to the children in her care:
"Anything can happen if you let it. Sometimes things are difficult but you can bet it doesn’t have to be so changes can be made. You can move a mountain if you use a larger spade.”
She also told the children to “Stretch your mind beyond fantastic. Dreams are made of strong elastic.” That child care provider was none other than Mary Poppins. Her guidance and care for Jane and Michael was legendary. She made the impossible, possible. Who wouldn’t love having Mary Poppins as their caregiver?
We begin our report with these thoughts because they capture Network Child Care Services’ vision and spirit in so many marvellous ways. 2018 was a year for Network to broaden its horizons, to reach new heights, and to expand its operations on several fronts. The agency continued to “stretch its mind beyond fantastic”, knowing that it was supported by the tireless and unwavering commitment of its talented, professional Staff and resourceful affiliated Home Child Care Providers.
Our specific efforts in the past year focused on the following endeavours:
- The acquisition of Lansing Child Care Centre, located at 49 Bogert Avenue, Toronto, in the Yonge & Sheppard area;
- The operation of Before & After School Programs at St. Victor and Annunciation Catholic Schools;
- The accelerated opening of 15 new licensed Home Child Care premises to meet market demand;
- The approval of funding to initiate infant programs at Network’s Group Centre, Just Kids, Jubilee and St. Nicholas Child Care Centres;
- The continued provision of continuing education for all Centre Staff and affiliated Home Child Care Providers. Specific sessions included:
- How Does Learning Happen? pedagogical training for all 140 Centre staff and Supervisors;
- Mental Health First Aid course for affiliated Home Child Care Providers;
- Practical Programming Techniques;
- Quality Assurance Guidelines as mandated by the City of Toronto Children’s Services;
- Practicing Behaviour Guidance;
- Effective Menu Planning;
- Building Strong Partnerships;
- STEM Activities for Preschool/School Age Programs;
- Navigating the CPL Portfolio Cycle;
- Guiding Self-Regulation in Toddlers and Preschoolers;
- Running Your Home Child Care Business: Organizing Your Way to Success;
- Building Quality in Licensed Child Care;
- Communication Strategies.
Furthermore, the following activities took place in 2018:
- Continued efforts with the provision of nutritious and healthy meals;
- The continued streamlining of the Accounting Department with the full implementation of the ADP payroll platform;
- The enhancement of Human Resources practices and procedures; and
- The enrichment of Network’s support and consultation to affiliated Home Child Care Providers and their premises.
In addition, Network continued to be an active participant at various consultation tables and committees concerned with the ongoing policy developments in early years and child care.
We would be remiss if we did not recognize up front that as we expand our horizons, we will certainly encounter new challenges and new growing pains. But as we set challenging goals, we are confident that we will discover the real depths of our abilities and skills and will achieve what we set out to do. With that spirit in mind, we take this opportunity to acknowledge the ongoing assistance and support of the Ontario Ministry of Education, the City of Toronto Children’s Services, and the Toronto Catholic District School Board. Network truly appreciates their efforts and will look forward to their valued support and encouragement. We would like to reassure them of our continued commitment to deliver programs of the highest calibre that are grounded on our principles of excellence, responsibility, and integrity.
We would also like to extend our most sincere thanks and appreciation to all the parents and families who trust us daily with the safety and care of their children. Their confidence in our programs and services has been essential to Network’s success. We would like to reassure them that our efforts are designed to offer the best to each and every child.
Finally, we would like to extend a very warm and heartfelt thank you to Network’s Board of Directors for their thoughtful insights and valued leadership, as well as all the Advisors, individuals and community partners who have contributed to Network’s advancement over the past year! To come back to Mary Poppins’ advice that “Anything Can Happen If You Let It”, we are especially grateful for their respective willingness to share in our vision and to allow Network to reach new heights.
- Planned construction of Infant care spaces at Jubilee, Group Centre, Just Kids and St. Nicholas Child Care Centre locations;
- Opening of new child care facilities at Bendale Acres Long-Term Care and proposed relocation of St. Nicholas Child Care Centre to a similar senior’s facility in order to satisfy Network’s intention to deliver support for intergenerational programs;
- Continue to stabilize support systems during the current growth cycle;
- Integrate all phone systems into one centralized set-up, responsible for routing all incoming communication ;
- Develop a plan to move current Head Office functions to a larger facility in order to better support expanded support staff and Management, and provide better permanent meeting space.
2018 Year In Numbers
Lansing Early Years Learning & Child Care Centre
In September 2018, Lansing opened its doors to families, welcoming children aged infants to preschoolers. Located in the Lansing United Church, this facility offers quality programming and care for families in the metropolitan North York neighbourhood surrounding Yonge Street and Sheppard Avenue.
Network Child Care Services, in partnership with the Lansing United Church and the City of Toronto Children’s Services present a brand-new space with spacious rooms and adjacent outdoor play areas to create the optimal learning environment for play-based programming, based on the fundamentals of the Ontario Ministry of Education’s ELECT Framework and How Does Learning Happen? Pedagogy.
Network Child Care Services and the Lansing Child Care Centre are excited to deliver quality learning and care in the Yonge and Sheppard neighbourhood for many years to come.
We value or children’s individual development and uniqueness to bring up their full potential within our diverse and inclusive environment.
—Juvelyn Grospe, Supervisor at Lansing
St. Victor and Annunciation Before and After School Programs
In collaboration with the Toronto Catholic District School Board, Network Child Care Services opened two further child care programs in September of 2018, with the creation of the St. Victor Catholic School Before and After Program and the Annunciation Catholic School Before and After Child Care Program.
St. Victor and Annunciation are both located in Scarborough, caring for kindergarten and school-aged children. Each program offers unique quality care and learning opportunities, from after school sports to homework support.
Both Before and After School Programs follow the regulations under the Ministry of Education’s Child Care and Early Years Act (2014) while also aiming to exceed the criteria set forth in the City of Toronto’s Assessment for Quality Improvement. Network Child Care Services, in conjunction with the St. Victor and Annunciation Before and After School Programs, looks forward to offering continuing care and education to kindergarten and school age children in the Scarborough area!
A parent said to me, ‘We have been waiting for this for years. Finally we have it now.’ We are very proud of the opening of Annunciation Before & After School Program, as we are providing child care for those families, and providing a warm, nurturing and fun learning environment for children.
—Cherrie Li, Supervisor at Annunciation
Home Child Care and Affiliated Providers
When Network Child Care Services was established in 1991, it started as a Home Child Care Agency with one affiliated Provider, and eight children. Twenty-seven years later, in December of 2018, our program has expanded to 80 Licensed Home Child Care premises with over 300 children in care.
In 2018, Network undertook a reworking of its Home Child Care business model with the establishment of a dedicated team of Quality Assurance Consultants, a unique Family Intake service, and the creation of a Program Supervisor position to oversee the department. Long-time Network Supervisor Lisa Guarini joined the Home Child Care team early in the year and began a focused recruitment project to bring on more Providers in high volume areas. Throughout the expansion process, applicants and their premises were thoroughly vetted with a staged process based on full compliance with CCEYA (2014) requirements and City of Toronto AQI standards. This resulted in a 15% increase of capacity by the end of the year, with further growth planned for 2019.
We continue to support our affiliated Providers’ ongoing success with home visits, client consultations and administrative backup. Network also focuses on providing a variety of training opportunities during the year to allow affiliated Providers to network with fellow peers, share ideas, and further develop skills in early childhood education and care.
As Network Child Care Services looks to the future of the Home Child Care program, we are delighted to work with determined and hardworking affiliated Providers to create nurturing quality home child care spaces for a diverse and ever-changing Toronto.
Network Management, Consultants and affiliated Providers are committed to meeting the diverse needs of the children in our care, and their families.
—Lisa Guarini, Program Supervisor, Licensed Home Child Care
• Subsidized Child Care Fees (54.0%) $8,334,445
• Child Care Fees (24.0%) $3,697,981
• Grant Revenue (21.8%) $3,364,942
• Other Revenue (0.2%) $37,417
Total Revenue $15,434,785
• Salaries and Benefits (59.5%) $8,985,099
• Provider & Contractor Fees (17.4%) $2,631,293
• Occupancy Costs (8.3%) $1,252,924
• Program (5.7%) $859,082
• Food (4.3%) $644,187
• Office and Administrative (3.9%) $582,592
• Amortization (1.0%) $152,900
Total Expenses $15,108,068
Revenue Over Expenses $326,717
Note: Copies of financial statements audited by Ramesar & Associates CA Professional Corporation, may be provided upon request.
Mosa Nazma Akter
Hana Abebe Ayalew
Ma Richel Bautista
Crisanto Paulo Bustamante
Juana Balbina Caycho
Shu Yi Cen
Chin Yao Chang
Carla Maria Chavarria
Yan Lan Chen
Stephanie Chin Yu Chung
Barbara De Cicco
Loretta Delos Angeles
Maureen Rose Everatt
Megan Mae Gallant-Samanica
Italia Lisa Guarini
Yu Juan Ivy He
Joadyn Saydi Hippolyte
Fei Fei Huang
Antoinnia Briana James
Qiu Ying Jiang
Helen Hyun Ju Lee
Agnes Lee Li Nee
Mingyu Cherrie Li
Xue Lian Li
Min Yan Lin
Maricel Mejia Linga
Wan Chi Liu
Effie Jane Maclean
Min Yu Mai
Danica Joy Manguera
Angela Oropeza Diaz
Sally Medeiros Pacheco
Rehana Akter Popy
Sayida Binish Qadir
Raven Olivia Reid
Sahana Begum Shaikh
Marlene Silva - Armas
Harmandeep Kaur Simmak
Sonia Laurell Simon
Stellina Alexandra Stratis
Mbesseh Yolanda Subinsoille
Chong Wen Wang
Harlene Arlene Williams
Karen Ho Lam Wong
Qing Feng Wu
Holly Hao Yin
Su Chen Zheng
Mr. Stephen Males, LL.B - President
Ms. Gina Papadakis - Secretary
Mr. Nick Tsimidis, CPA - Treasurer
Ms. Aira Aitken - Director
Ms. Minodora Grigorescu - Director
Mr. Stan Smyer - Past President
BDO Canada, LLP
Ms. Andrea Young, RD
Douglas R. Varty CPA, CA
Ramesar & Associates Chartered Public Accountants
Iryna Iwachiw LL.B, LL.M
Filion Wakely Thorup Angeletti LLP
Dale & Lessmann LLP
Christina Michelle Malakovski
Nadia Stirpe – Georgiou
Jane Zhiqian Huang
Doris Isabel Risso-Rocco
Juharra Abdule Ahmed
Shaneeza Yvonne Buchana
Zahro Da Quane
Carmen De Melo
Rita Evans Sealy
Ana Isabel Fuchs
Kaltom Ahmed Isse
Beatriz Marin Allendes
Farhia Husien Mohamed
Mariam Omoyemi Murphy
Faduma Mohamed Nur
Lula Osman Omar
Pearl Quash Russell
Hamida Moosaji Varachhia
Fadumo Yusuf Warsame
Ministry of Education
City of Toronto
Toronto District Catholic School Board
Home Child Care Association of Ontario (HCCAO)
Canadian Association of Exposition Managers
Canadian Child Care Federation
Coalition for Better Child Care
City of Toronto, District Child Care Advisory
City of Toronto, Every Child Belongs
Davenport Perth Neighbourhood Centre
The Four Villages Community Health Centre
Home Child Care Association of Toronto
Ontario Studies in Education (OISE)
Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centre
Quality Early Learning Network (QELN)
“I’m so grateful for the Lansing Daycare where in I can fully entrust my child while I’m at work. The teachers are so loving and caring as well.”
- Julie, parent at Lansing
Thank you for the last two years of your love, support and passion [...]. It’s comforting to see all of you are there to keep them safe and foster their learning. You will all have a special place in their and our hearts.
- Parent of Wade
Really happy with this service. Have used it at previous shows and its very much appreciated!
- Parent at the One of a Kind Show
… [Koko] never stops talking when we are together and I realize how hard you work to re-enforce and encourage this... I am so grateful for all your efforts – every one of you…
- Anna and Jim, grandparents at Just Kids
You and your staff made me feel so welcomed and comfortable. The advice you gave me is something that will benefit me moving forward and I will use it for the rest of my life. You made me feel cared for and instilled confidence in me. I couldn’t ask for a better first experience in the field. Thank you so much
- Menal, student at Child’s Nest
Thank you for being Faiz’s family away from home for the past 2.5 years! Under your care, he has grown and blossomed into a confident, cheerful and intelligent little preschooler and we are so grateful for you for this…
- Syeda and Zahri, parents at Metamorphosis
My family would like to thank you for all your support and loving care to Joseph, although he has only been with you all for a short time, he has already improved in many ways and cannot stop talking about you all at home.
- parent at Satellite
As a parent, I would say Jubilee Child Care Centre promotes a positive learning environment. Staff interactions with the children and parents are greatly appreciated. I would recommend for any family to join this positive and caring team.
- Parent at Jubilee
We both thank you all for the wonderful teachable moments for Ayden and me. You all have made a large impact on our lives. Ayden has blossomed to be a wonderful kid due to the love and care from all of you. We both had a lot of fun and it was a wonderful experience being at Network
- Angelina, Parent at Satellite